About Us​​
The Royal Norfolk Hotel is an independent family-owned hotel in Sandgate, near Folkestone, in Kent. Mother and daughter team, Sandra and Georgia, fell in love with the Royal Norfolk Hotel back in 2009 and turned it into both a home and a business. Together with our family and friends we have strived to transform, evolve and upgrade the property to ensure that your experience with us will be as memorable as possible.  

The Hotel is situated a stones throw from the beach and overlooks Sandgate Castle, built for Henry VIII in the 16th century. Sandgate village is in Hythe Bay, a hidden oasis by the sea in the Garden of England.
The Royal Norfolk Hotel offers comfortable and well appointed accommodation. Our facilities include a busy bar serving homemade hearty food and private off-road parking. Our en-suite rooms are equipped with a beverage tray, a television, radio alarm and hairdryer.
At the heart of the hotel is Gee's Bar, a warm, friendly, family spot offering fresh, quality home-cooked food. Food is served in the bar or in our cosy dining room until 8pm Monday to Saturday and until 6pm on Sundays. As well as a fine assortment of premium draught lagers, wines and sprits, Gee's bar hosts an eclectic mix of popular live music on most weekends and is open until 1am on Fridays and midnight on Saturdays. Our Sun Terrace has a retractable roof so you may enjoy the glorious coastal sunshine or shelter from the wind and rain.
 History of The Royal Norfolk Hotel
Records of the Royal Norfolk Hotel go back to the beginning of the 19th century when a weatherboarded Inn known as The Ship stood on the site. In 1805 the landlord, Edward Hopper, was fined 5 shillings for having four potts short of measure. Thankfully today you won't be served any short measures in the hotel.

In 1825 there was a fight in the Hotel in which Thomas Page received a fatal stab wound. John Burton was convicted of his manslaughter and died himself soon afterwards. Before his death, however Thomas Page confessed that it had been his own fault and that he forgave John Burton. Following the unfortunate deaths, the inn gained a reputation for ghostly and strange happenings, and was even left empty for considerable periods. It was only once the building was completely pulled down in 1901 and the Hotel rebuilt in the guise it stands today that the paranormal events came to an end.

The Royal Norfolk Hotel took its current name after an extended stay of the then Duchess of Norfolk and her young son in the late 19th century. Arrangements for her stay were rather hurried after the proprietor of the nearby Royal Pavilion hotel instructed the landlord of the Ship to "clear out his guests to make room for the Duchess" as his hotel was full. Understandably, the management were reluctant to get rid of their regular customers, and it was only after some last minute negotiation that the Duchess came to stay.

The Duchess of Norfolk is not the only grand person to have stayed: the Prince of Teck visited in the 1890s and even Queen Victoria herself reputedly stopped at the hotel.

Since October 2009, the Royal Norfolk Hotel has been run by the mother and daughter team of Sandra Wilkins and Georgia Walker, who have worked hard restoring the building to a now beautiful place to rest, dine and relax.